Need Help with BLM tuning (Logs Attached)

Discussion in 'Computer tuning and diagnostics' started by BranZ, Jan 28, 2010.

1. BranZ

I am having trouble cleaning up the idle on my new LT1 motor. I need some insight on getting the BLMs under control. I did the math on them last night but it seems I still can not get them corralled. Please let me know what yall think of this capture. The first one #8 is a driving log and the #9 is just the idle. Thanks in advance. Brandon

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

What are you logging it with? Its opening with notepad for me and nothing is where it should be.

3. BranZ

I am using Free Scan but I had to upload it by changing the extension to txt. I appreciate you looking at it. Brandon

4. BranZ

I am planning to try some more tuning this weekend and see if it comes around. I wish I knew what camshaft was in it. I bought a complete motor and just dropped it in. It has a decent lope to it. BranZ

5. HerronPerformance

Do you have a WB?

Be good to know if the WB up in the exhaust flow, ie not at the tailpipe, shows as for the AFR. Idle will be around 14.7, but you can go leaner if you wish.

could you format the attached to an xcel file with the correct headings?

BTW-knowing the cam shaft will not help you tune the car. Knowing what the car is doing is the only way to correctly tune.

6. BranZ

I pulled them down on the post and renamed them with a csv extention. This allowed me to open it in excel. It will not let me upload it a csv extension. I have a wb and need to stop being lazy and weld a bung in and see what it does. I appreciate everyone's help with this thing. Brandon

7. HerronPerformance

your BLMs are the 'same', are you wanting them to be at 128? or what is your 'goal'?
    I would rather see short term fuel trims.
    but your avg O2 reading is .425, that is pretty dang good, .457 being stoich, you are slightly leaner which is OK.

8. BranZ

Appreciate you taking a look. The goal is to get the best gas mileage and get rid of the idle rich smell. I have added a crap load of timing and it seems to respond pretty well to it. I just want to learn as much as possible and apply it to this car. This is my wife's daily driver so it has to be all of that and a bag of chips! BranZ

9. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

You can trick the car at idle to think its running at 128 blms to help with the rich fuel smell but depending on the overlap of the cam you might not be able to get rid of all of it.

10. HerronPerformance

MPGs are not to be found at idle....
    Cats on the car? If not, i have found that lots of times people think a car is rich smelling, it is actually lean, hence why a WB is good to have on there.

If this was an MPG idea then you need to give us logs from a drive to or from work.

11. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Yep the leaner you are the more fuel the computer is trying to dump in there to get things back to normal. Def dealt with that as well lol.

12. HerronPerformance

What injectors? got the right injector data in the PCM?
    There is so much to make sure is right. And if something is off, you could be chasing your tale, FUN STUFF!!!

13. BranZ

It has 24 SVO injectors in it right now. I have attached the current bin from TunerCat. I changed the extension to a txt because bin is not allowed. The cat is on the car for looks only. The exhaust runs right through it. It is just a case. I forgot my cable at home so I was not able to log on the way home. I will try to get one posted tomorrow. I adjusted the injector constant to match the SVO injectors. I encourage everyone to give me input. I really enjoy messing with this stuff. Thanks, BranZ

Attached Files:

14. BranZ

FantaZ,

How would I trick it with a 128 idle? Do I tune for it? Thanks, BranZ

15. HerronPerformance

one way is to do a PE idle but no matter what you do....get the WB on it....pissing in the wind

16. BranZ

I got serious and put the WB on the car. I put it right behind the cat, which is hollow. Anyway, I was seeing 13.8-14.2 at idle. I did some logging of the car with some spirited driving. I need to pull some time out of it. I never really saw any real real low AFRs during the aggressive driving. I think the lowest I saw was 11.8 or so. I do not have the rpm feature hooked so no graphs on that. Anyway, let me know what yall think. BranZ

17. BranZ

I figured I would throw this log up to. This is just the car idling with a AFR between 13.8-14.2. The way I see it by looking at the BLMs is the computer is trying to pull fuel out. Is this an accurate evaluation? The problem I see is that there is no way to lean it out some more. Thoughts? BranZ

Attached Files:

18. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Sorry looking at the way your logs are makes my head hurt and hard to follow. I am use to Datamaster and its very easy to see whats going on. Yes the computer would still be trying to pull fuel and you can also manipulate idle conditions with your MAF tables. You can make it seem like the car is getting less air than it is and this will reduce the fuel in that certain table. When I did my tuning and whenever I help someone else out we usually start off in Speed Density to get everything pretty close and then switch it back over to MAF version and let the computer do its fine tuning :)

19. BranZ

FantaZ,

I tried a different computer at the house and downloaded the txt file. You are right it is horrible. I am running OpenOffice on it. I had to convert it from a txt to a csv extension. I also had to note when it opened to separate by commas not tabs. It opened with everything in the right spots. Can you use Datamaster for free? I will try to tune it first in SP and then roll back to MAF. Thanks again for your help. BranZ

20. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I have Datamaster and Tunercat and yes you can use Datamaster for free for 15 runs or something like that. Its very easy to tune for idling in SD mode. I do believe Jpack on here has a program that converts your numbers for you to plug into your MAF tables to help out with idling as well. So you might want to shoot him a PM and ask him about it.