1968 SS Style

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Eric S, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Eric S

Hello

I am opening a new thread as I started working on my 68. Car was running good; is in quite decent condition. Floors are real good, new tank, good interior.
    White with black Vinyl roof.

I had a leak at the water pump os order some parts :
    Valve covers,
    aluminum radiator
    radiator core support
    Front spoiler
    Upper & Lower ball joints
    Battery tray
    Hydraulic brake hoses
    a complete Polyurethane bushing set
    a few more bits and nuts
    and a key FOB

So Question #1 :
    Removed the rear axle to clean under the leaf springs and change some rubbers. But I end up with several concerns with the axle.
    It's a 10 bolts single leaf with 3 leaves.
    Marked 3894859NF and CM57
    I can't open the square fill plug. No Way
    The teeths seems to rattle a bit, when turning wher ethe pro shaft links (and no wheel shafts in) I can feel it's not smooth as it should be.
    Transmission shaft had about 1" of play when everything was on the car (when turning the shaft it was moving by about 3/4-1")
    I will have to have it checked locally to estimate it's real condition.
    I would like to refinish it but it's muddy, greasy and am not sure how I can degrease it correctly so I can paint it...
    So a lot of work to make it looks nice.

Now I saw this page https://www.moserengineering.com/12-...d-package.item
    About 2.000$ and I said why not. It may improve the car but the number of options required got me lost.
    Anyone would like to dig into that and tell me what option I'd need. I'd appreciate.

What value will a 12 bolts add to the car?

Question #2 : Now if I change the axle, I will need new leaf springs and shocks. But which ones?

Question #3 : I am also refurbishing the brakes. Found no way to open the wheel cylinders (I know new ones cost a few $ but would like to save good ole parts rather than replacing with asian parts !)
    Do I have to pull on the rubber on each end of the cylinders. Tried to pull but seems to tear off rather than coming off. (I would get repair kits)

That's it for now. I would appreciate any input from there...

Cheers

Eric

Tags:
  2. Eric S

Question #1 worked out with technicians at Moser,
    Question #3 I managed to open the wheel cylinders and finally ordered new ones.

Left question about the value that a 12 bolt may add (or not to the value of the car)
    And what leaf springs and shocks should I need.

Nobody has any idea there?

3. Rossterman

If your car was an SS it should have a factory 12 bolt already. You can buy a used one or new. I see the used oneS from time to time for about $1000. As to value, of the car is a true SS, people will Expect to find one so probably not a price increase. If they car is heavily modified, it could bring some value but hard to determine.

4. Eric S

No th car is NOT a real SS, it just some kind of "tribute".
    Finally I went to restore the 10 bolts. It was not in bad condition and Moser cost was too high when you include shipping to France...