177 Weiand

Discussion in 'Power Adders' started by OldMech, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OldMech

Is anyone running a 177 Weiand supercharger on their small block 2nd gen? I am looking for a measurement on how far it sticks up past the stock hood.. basically a flat edge across the fenders and measure from the bottom of the flat edge to the top of the carb breather mounting flat.
    From the measurements I can find it looks like it will stick out by about 4 inches, but I would like to verify! Thx!

Tags:
  2. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

3. OldMech

That looks like the smaller 142/144 size? But yeah, that one looks like it fits under the cowl pretty nicely.. I will run a cowl if I have to, but I would much rather have the L88 style... it all depends on if I can FIND a 4" plus L88 style hood. Most I have looked at say 3 inches... I am also unsure of where the front blower pully is.. if there needs to be hood clearance there as well? I will keep looking, and, within a few weeks, i will have it all sitting in the Z anyhow so i can take my own measurements :p

4. Zspoiler

I have a 1979 Z-28 with a 142 Weiand mini blower .And I use a 6" cowl hood to make it fit .A 177 I believe is slightly taller .and would probably require at least an 8' inch tall hood to fit.

image6.jpg #ad

image2.jpg #ad

Z28/Ken likes this.
  5. OldMech

Thanks! I can cut a couple inches off with a low pro style breather, but yeah, so six will likely be the least I can get away with. I can drop the motor mounts about an inch and still have 1/2 inch clearance.. looking at all the angles.... Thanks for the reply!

6. Zspoiler

B & M used make a fuel injection for their 144 mini blowers back in the 1980.s It gave more hood clearance .I used a Spectre billet flat top lid for a 3 " tall 14 " K & N filter . Or you could use a K & N Xtreme air filter top with a shorter air filter. I would be careful about dropping the engine .especially if the car sits low .Other wise you could hit your oil pan and if you use full length headers .I use a K & N breather with a PCV system . and Doug Thorely " Big Tube " headers. It all a matter of trade offs Good luck to you.

image3.jpg #ad

image5.jpg #ad

7. OldMech

Oil pan is a custom circle track kickout pan that has the extra clearance, and the headers are mid length with custom down tubes, so they wont (shouldn't) hit either. The hat I intend to use is 2.4 inches tall but has dual inlets...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spectre-98599-Carb-Hat-Air-Bonnet-Plenum-Low-Profile-Dual,150800.html

I don't know if any of that will be enough to help. Apparently no one else has a 177, so plan b is to finish assembly and bolt it in the car. Then there will be no guessing. Thanks for the reply Zspoiler!

8. Zspoiler

I had plan on upgrading to a 177 from a 142.Since my engine was built to handle a 6-71 . So i had looked into what I had to do to make it fit. I run a Milodon 7 road race pan 31505 .With twin remote filters and an oil cooler since I run 15 lbs of boost. I have planned to make a cold air box to fit inside the scoop. Have you looked at the Muscle cars like the 442 to draw cold air from the front of the car since you are using that air cleaner top.

9. OldMech

Yeah, battery relocate so I can mount filters up front on each side. I don't have much room to move stuff on this since it has AC.. Even the MSD 6AL is going to be interesting to find a place for, and I need to install a cruise control box too. The engine compartment is going to be pretty tight.
    fifteen lbs of boost? Thats like 300 hp just from boost. You run race gas or you managed to get the compression low enough?

10. Zspoiler

I mount my twin filters With a TransDapt filter mountjust behind the front inner bumper .And the cooler on the radiator core support .I made my own brackets for both .along with a inline filter and cooler for my power steering .All done with braided line and AN fittings. Mine was an AC car but I changed it over to non AC .I have a Crane HI-6TR of which I mounted inside the car on the passenger side transmission tunnel. Using a combination of MSD vibration mounts and a custom bracket. My engine is a 377 cubic inch small block chevy .Built from the ground up for supercharging ,Bowtie block .Scat stroker forged crank .Manley rods.Speed Pro turbo/ blower pistons .Milodon Road race oil pan ,With a Moroso windage tray .a Custom Crane Hydralic roller cam with stud girdle and locks .Eldelbrock Prototype Performer RPM aluminum cylinder heads with Manely 2.05 /1.60 valves.The heads have been port matched to the blower intake . An modified Holley 830 CFM carb. with all ARP bolts and a lot more. It makes around 500 HP depending if I use pump and or race gas. I run a 1/2 fuel line and a NASCAR style high volume gas pump.

11. OldMech

Found this in another place............. Hope it helps someone.

Hood clearances summarized;

So, using those numbers, I've arrived at the following measurements for all the blowers:

**Stock Hood clearance = 11.3"
    **w/3" cowl =14.3
    **w/4" cowl =15.3
    **w/5" cowl = 16.3**

Weiand 177 = 11" tall, (-.3" underhood w/o carb) plus 6.3 for carb and A/C = 6.0" above hood (total = 17.3")

Mag MP 122 = 9.3" tall, (2" underhood w/o carb) plus 6.3 for carb and A/C = 4.3 above stock hood (total = 15.6")

Weiand 144 = 8.3" tall ( 3" underhood w/o carb) plus 6.3" for carb and A/C = 3.3 above stock hood (total = 14.6")

Weiand 142 = 9.0" tall (2.3" underhood w/o carb) plus 6.3" for carb and A/C = 4.3" above stock hood (total = 15.3")

-So in summary, it appears as if:
    The 144 might fit under a 3" cowl hood
    The 142 might fit under a 4" cowl hood
    The MP 122 *might* squeeze under a 4" cowl
    The 177 won't even fit under a 5" cowl

So, it looks like I am going to have to run a 6 inch cowl... I HATE cowl hoods too.... everyone and their brother has a cowl hood... I am annoyed no one makes anything different with the clearances I need.

Sounds like a pretty nice set up Zspoiler. I bet that little 377 winds up tight.

12. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Are you using something similar to this for the dual filters, seems like it could free up a little space for clearance: s-l640 (1).jpg #ad

13. Zspoiler

I can run up to 6200 if i wish .I have a Super T-10 with a 2:64 st gear with 3:42 gears in back. Its a good compromise for the street and any thing else I decide to do,

14. OldMech

What do you have on YOUR kitchen counter? DSCF5090.JPG #ad

NastyZ likes this.
  15. NastyZ

Me wants one lol. But i want one in a 66 chevy II. Would love the big 'ol whine .... as i rip from first to 4th

Sorry... drooling on tablet.... nice piece man!

16. OldMech

66 Chevy II is a gorgeous car. Got the blower bolted to the stock engine with few hassles... Went for a drive... it doesnt WHINE like a blower with the COG belt, but whne you punch it??? it has this high pitched scream that is incredible, and the tires break free... Even on the stock engine it just made this car a LOT more fun to drive. Unfortunately, the water pump went.. no hood, I saw the coolant sprinkle the windshidl on the way back... weep hole dripping when I shut it off, new water pump tomorrow... I also have to give a shout out to the 950 brawler carb.. black and purple... bolted it on, and it runs perfectly RIGHT out of the box.... When I get the new water pump on it I will see if it needs any tinkering on this motor... i expected it to be way rich... but.. wow the response is incredible and it ran like a dream... short lived dream... but once the new water pump is on......

17. Zspoiler

Just don`t push it too hard .Because unless its built for it .It will and any other weak part will go south on you.

18. NastyZ

Same exact thing happened to me....but with turbos....too much boost.... bye bye headgasket.... but got to drive it for about an hour..... found out not haveing crank vent tubes relocated and wrong wastegate setup....gives wrong preasre on guage....and boom.

Ah well ya live ya learn.

But man would love to hear that supercharger whine.... always wanted a hood breaching induction setup lol.... watching it twitch as you blip it.... nothing like it

Thanx for my auto fix for the day

19. OldMech

Not running a set up like yours with 15 lbs of boost Zspoiler. its set up for 5 ish pounds of boost, and if that takes out a head gasket then it was already on the way out. New water pump installed today. All hooked up and running. Took it for a drive today, put about 20 miles on it just to test it out. Very happy with it overall... The kit I ordered said it FIT a 1980 camaro.. it doesnt fit a Stock 1980 camaro.. fan will not work, alt bracket will not line up, etc... it took a lot of fabrication to get everything working correctly. But its on. Now I have to order the right breather set up and hood.... DSCF5095.JPG #ad

On the plus side, the AC is still COLD and the driveability of the car is excellent!

NastyZ likes this.
  20. Zspoiler

The breather set I use is a K & N breather and the stock PCV valve and charcoal canister. I just tapped the blower just below the carb .A modifed 830 Holley vacuum secondary carb. I use braided line to match. I still use the stock clutch fan with a new clutch. With a Griffian aluminum radiator. I use a set of March deep groove pulleys and brackets .But stock ones will fit . Mine will fit under a 6" GlasTek cowl hood with a 13" Spectre flat billet lid drop base K & N filter. Down the road I`m going to make a cold air box similar to a NASCAR one. Looks as tall as yours is you will require a 8" cowl hood to fit .

image3.jpg #ad

image2.jpg #ad

image5.jpg #ad