02 Z28 Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Rookierook10, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Rookierook10

Hey guys so I recently made a trade for a red 2002 Z28 with 80k on it. The car had a trash transmission with only second and third gear and barely reverse working. The car was also in an accident in the front passenger side and the repair was shotty at best. However I got the car for 500 bucks and traded about 2000 dollars worth of stuff for it. Originally I only wanted the car as a donor for my recently acquired 86 Z28 project but once I got it home I started to realize what I had and decided to rebuild this car. I was able to find a transmission with 80k on it for 300 bucks and got that installed. While I had the car in the air I also painted the torque arm and transmission crossmember red. When I got the car the paint on the hood, front bumper, passenger fender and passenger mirror were done very poor so I happened to have red fenders and mirrors from a car the a parted out a few months ago so that was an easy fix. The hood however I had 4 inch cowl induction scoop laying around sonic decided to strip the hood and mold a functional cowl induction on it. That ended up being quite the ordeal taking countless hours. I decided I wanted to tackle the task between just my dad and I and neither of us are body men however he has a good knowledge base from years of painting in the past. The hood finally got finished the other day and came out quite nicely. Once I got the hood on the paint didnt quite match the rest of the car so once the weather brakes the car will be getting a new paintjob overall. I plan to build the car in stages with the goal eventually being a reliable daily driver with about 500 horsepower. I plan to put the car on the road in the spring so I would like to complete what I call stage one by then. First i will talk about the interior. Right now the car has all manual locks, mirrors and windows. I know by reading a lot online that apparently this is the dream but I like convenience so I will be switching over to power options. Like I said I parted a car out and happened to have the door harness from the power doors with switches. I already swapped the passenger mirror and will do the driver side. I just ordered brand new window regulators and motors and door lock actuators and plan to do the passenger window set up with the regulators going to the batter to eliminate the motor burn up problem. I'm praying that the emply plug is waiting for me under the dash so that I can just plug the harness in. When I got the car only one rear speaker worked. I did the amp bypass with the same result. Then I put a good speaker to the other locations with no luck. I concluded the wiring is bad. I got a pretty good deal on a double din touch screen, 4 6.5 inch speakers, a 12 inch sub and amp, dash kit, amp kit and 100 feet of speaker wire. So I will be gutting the interior and running some new wire in the next few weeks to hook all that up. Also decided the factory antenna is atrocious so I'm going to shave the hole and I ordered a hidden windshield antenna to put in the back glass. Even though the interior in this car is completely flawless I had acquired black and red racing seats and a black steering wheel with red stitching for my 86 that I decided to put in this car and I will put these bucket seats in my 86. I got a 2 ohm resistor because I read that if I plug that in the airbag slot the airbag light wont come on and I will still have the passenger airbag. For now that's my big plans for interior. Exterior I did the hood and bought a really cool front lip off of Ebay since the car has the factory lip package but was missing the front. Paint will be done in the spring. I traded my dad a set of 2010 SS rims and tires for a set of 18 inch american racing torque thrusters. I'd love to find a pair of 17s for the front and put the 18s on the rear but for now I'm just going to squeeze the fattest tire I can on the rear. I just ordered the grill craft grill that deletes the license plate. Once I go through inspection I want to get all smoked lighting. That's about it for exterior other than tint. Now for performance. I found a really good deal on the Speed Engineering 3 inch duals so I got those and ordered the lower panhard bar. I grabbed a set of cheap LT headers that will be here today. I got the 02 extension wires, plug wire heat covers, heat wrap for wiring, hooker header gaskets. Since it will be easier with the manifolds off I bought NGK TR5IX plugs MSD 8.5 wires. My wonderful girlfriend got me the Volante intake for my birthday the other day and I got the egr and IAC delete plates. I'm hoping these add ons with a tune will give me some fun this summer. Over the summer I'm hoping to grab the powerstop brake kit for front and rear. I already have the adjustable rear LCAs. I found a set of struts with lowering springs and the LCA brackets for about 500 so I'd like to grab those. And subframe connectors. Next winter I plan to bench the car and dive back into performance. I picked up some 862 complete heads yesterday for 80 bucks so I want to send them off for a valve job and port and polish. Then I'm thinking rockers and springs and whatever else I can do balling on a budget. I would like to do a nice cam that gives an aggressive sound for the street but has good driveability. I was thinking the Dorman intake manifold that I've heard so much about. Upgrade to a bigger throttle body and new MAF. And of course a new tune. During this time I also want to get the transmission that I took out of the car rebuilt to handle some abuse and start looking into some ways to help the rear end out. Like I said I want a daily driver that will put in work when needed. IMG_20191210_180010_494.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-1082440898.jpg #ad

20191109_143816.jpg #ad

20191109_143840.jpg #ad

20191109_143900.jpg #ad

20191109_143601.jpg #ad

20191109_143626.jpg #ad

20191109_143653.jpg #ad

20191109_143715.jpg #ad

20191109_143530.jpg #ad

20191109_143443.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. NastyZ

I got dizzy reading all that a third the way in lol. Nice car glad you like it

Rookierook10 likes this.
  3. Rookierook10

Lol thanks for taking the time to read

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Definitely a wall-o-text going on there and with my bad eyes, I can't read any of it. Definitely try to put some spaces in there and separate things into paragraphs. Makes it way easier to read.

Nice car though! What is the short version of what you have planned for the car? If my eyes stop hurting, I will see about editing the post and breaking it up a bit. But after 12 hours of staring at a computer screen, my eyes are shot tonight.

5. Rookierook10

Current progress....
    Performance:
    Long tubes, Speed Engineering Exhaust, Volant Intake, NGK Plugs, MSD 8.5 plug wires, Diablo Sport Intune1000, EGR delete

Suspension: Founders Performance upper PHB, adjustable rear control arms

Interior: Black and red racing seats, dyed rear seats, JVC indash touch screen, Rockford Fosgate component speakers, kicker 12 inch sub in custom box with amp.

Exterior: Black Headlights and Marker lights with all LED bulbs other than blinkers, Functional Cowl Induction hood, C5 Corvetter rims staggered 18 in the rear 17 up front painted black, front lip, Grillcraft grill, antenna delete.

Currently working on converting the windows, locks and mirrors from manual to power.
    Also slipping out of second gear so getting the money together for a rebuild and something around a 2500 stall converter. Been looking at Monster Transmissions. Snapchat-2134512781.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-817622100.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-2104167492.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-1768442120.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-786202292.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-1981259510.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-331932174.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-1071601509.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-2026998000.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-56961639.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-531090649.jpg #ad
    20191230_163356.jpg #ad
    20191230_163348.jpg #ad
    20200107_163955.jpg #ad

Near future mods: New tires needed asap, shocks and springs with adjustable PHB and lower control arm brackets to drop about an inch or so. Custom tune for the Diablo to dial in my mods and delete EGR andrea 02s.

FANTA-Z likes this.
  6. 6cylrider

Nice, how much of a pia were the headers? Were they Speed Engineering too? Looks just like the one my bud has, his is a SS . I like the exhaust, any rattles?

7. M1dniterider

I wanna swap budgets with you :beerchug:
    Or maybe slip a few goodies for mine into your next parts order.

Sweet ride!

8. mullettcar

i see you have a second gen in one of your pics you should swap everything you can from the 4th gen to the second gen make a really cool car lol.