Change your 93-97 Camaro to High Performance Halogens

Discussion in 'Body Work, Detailing and Exterior' started by digi7al ph0enix, Apr 25, 2005.

By digi7al ph0enix on Apr 25, 2005 at 7:04 AM
  1. digi7al ph0enix Staff Alumni

Change your 93-97 Camaro to High Performance Halogens

A little introduction before we get started. I want to make clear now that this could break your current sealed-beam headlamp. The base of the stock headlight is glass, and in order for use to upgrade to aftermarket halogens, a little work is going to have to be done in order to get the new headlights into the stock base. This includes breaking the seal on the current headlight, which is only siliconed in. So remember be gentle, and just work slowly, and you should be fine!

(Note: If you are like me, and are clumsy ... do this on a soft surface. Oh, and I know from experience that breaking the base sucks a lot! I had to get a new one, and that wasn't fun.)

Tools Needed:
    • #15 Torx Driver (One with a magnetic tip is very helpful!)
    • Flat Head Screwdriver
    • Needle nose Pliers (Not required, but very helpful!)

(Note: If you do not have a magnetic torx driver, try to find a very strong magnet, and put it on the driver, which if the magnet is strong enough it will make the driver magnetic. Trust me, you don't want to drop any screws into the front facia.)

Parts Needed:
    • 2 Silverstar 9006 Headlights (low beams)
    • 2 Silverstar 9005 Headlights (high beams)
    • Clear Silicone (Doesn't have to be clear, but clear is the highest temp silicone.)

(Note: I bought my new bulbs at AutoZone for 19.99 a piece. If you don't have the 80 bucks to waste, just start with the low beams, since most of us don't really use high beams too often. I got my silicone at AutoZone as well.)

Step 1
    Using the #15 torx driver, remove the two screws on the headlight retainer. This will loosen the retainer, which swings out, and then pulls out. Check your owner's manual for more information if needed. After the retainer is out, unplug the headlight, and remove it from the bucket. You can do the same for all of the other headlights, or do one at a time. It is up to you, the process is the same for all the lights.

(Tips: If you are having trouble getting to the bottom screw on the retainer, stick a wedge into the bottom to push the plastic down, and bring the headlight up. Just be careful.)

Step 2
    With the headlight out of the bucket, you should now see how the old bulb is in the base. It is very wise at this point to mark the direction that the bulb is facing. You will need to place the Silverstar into the lamp the same way. Now for the part that will require some patience, taking the flat head screwdriver ... slowly pry the plastic base from the glass. Work around the entire base in equal increments, and it took me about 3 minutes working around the entire base, and you will feel the old bulb loosening out of the base. This is the same for all of the headlights.

(Tips: PAITENCE PAITENCE PAITENCE! Also if you want to reuse the old bulbs, do not touch them! The oil on your fingers can cause the bulb to burst!)

Step 3
    Take the new Silverstar bulb, again DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS! Place a small bead of silicone around the base of the bulb where the rubber o-ring is. Smooth it around with your finger; make sure you have a nice smooth bead around the base. Wipe the excess on your finger onto the base of the headlamp. Now carefully place the new bulbs into the base, making sure you put them the same way the old ones came out. Push down on the bulb to get a good seal, and smooth the excess from the sides around the entire seal with your finger. It is going to take anywhere from a half hour to an hour to set. Double check to make sure you siliconed everything evenly and there is no holes for moisture to get in.

Step 4
    Reverse the process from Step 1. Make sure to connect the lamp, and test it before installing it all the way. If you still have the old ones in, you can see the difference in the lighting Installing the lights back into the retainer, can be annoying, just take your time.

That's all it takes. Enjoy your new high performance lighting. Want to thank the z28.com members for having the best community!!

Originally Posted by: titter. Thank you for the info.

Tags: